Kapenguria Boys closed indefinitely as wave of unrest spreads
Education
By
Irissheel Shanzu
| Jun 08, 2026
Kapenguria Boys High School has been closed indefinitely following student unrest on Sunday night, where a dormitory, a mattress store and the library were set on fire.
The fire was contained before it spread to other buildings.
No injuries were reported during the incident.
School management and relevant authorities have launched investigations into the incident.
READ MORE
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
Of online scams and mobile money fraud, why Kenyans are biggest victims
Why ex-energy chiefs are not yet off the hook
Ruto seeks new ideas on tax economy as poll clock ticks
Tea and coffee markets record improvement at the auctions
Kenya's paint industry rides construction recovery to double-digit growth
Why EU rules could redefine Africa's agricultural competitiveness
Why inclusion is becoming a business imperative, not just a workplace value
Regional trade pact targets billions in food trade by dismantling border barriers
Kenya lenders turn to AI, digital assets to reshape credit market
School principal, Moses Ndeda, said the students staged the protest while demanding to be released to go home.
“The students were asking why they were still in school while other schools had already closed. We have since released them to go home. The fire was contained, although we are yet to assess the value of the property destroyed,” said Ndeda.
Authorities are expected to release a comprehensive report once the assessment of the damage is complete.
And Trans Nzoia County Director of Education Pamella Akello said St Brigid Girls, Kiminini, and St Joseph's Girls High Schools in Trans Nzoia County, were closed after students demanded to be released to go home.
Meanwhile, Jomo Kenyatta Boys High School in Bahati, Nakuru County, has been closed indefinitely after students went on the rampage and shattered classroom windows.
Jomo Kenyatta Girls, was closed last week.
The government has insisted that learning will proceed despite the wave of student unrest that has led to deaths and destruction of property in schools.
Education Principal Secretary Julius Bitok said there were no plans for unscheduled closure of schools for the half-term break.
He noted that only 0.8 per cent of secondary schools across the country have been affected by the wave of unrest.