IPOA probes fatal shooting of 14-year-old in Kisauni
Counties
By
Esther Nyambura
| Jan 06, 2026
IPOA launches probe into fatal shooting of 14-year-old in Kisauni. [File, Standard]
The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) says investigations into the fatal shooting of a 14-year-old boy in Kisauni, Mombasa County, are ongoing.
The teenager, identified as Dennis Ringa Swaleh, was shot on New Year’s Eve at the Utange–Swale Nguru Shopping Centre.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, January 6, IPOA Chairperson Ahmed Issack Hassan said the agency launched investigations on January 2 and has so far interviewed key witnesses, including police officers and members of the public, with their statements recorded.
The authority noted that the evidence from the scene, as well as relevant police documents, has been obtained and preserved.
READ MORE
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
German 'chemical town' fears impact of industrial decline
AI boom raises pressure for clean energy transition
How to pick the right insurance cover for your car
Push for cryptocurrency regulation gathers pace
How high-stakes home ownership dreams are shattered by city cartels
More witnesses are also expected to be interviewed, and the evidence collected will be submitted for ballistic examination.
Once investigations are concluded, Hassan says it will forward the inquiry file to the Director of Public Prosecutions with recommendations on the culpability of the officers involved.
“After the investigation is completed, the Authority will forward the investigation file to the Director of Public Prosecutions with necessary recommendations,” said Hassan.