Trump can resume 'third-country' deportations, court says
America
By
AFP
| Mar 16, 2026
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media onboard Air Force One out of West Palm Beach, Florida on March 15, 2026 while en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. [AFP]
A US federal appeals court allowed the Trump administration on Monday to temporarily resume summarily deporting undocumented migrants to countries that are not their own.
The US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, in a 2-1 vote, lifted a block on the so-called "third-country" deportations that had been imposed by a lower court.
District Judge Brian Murphy ruled last month that third-country deportations were unlawful but put his ruling on hold to allow the government time to file an appeal.
The appeals court lifted the stay put on the deportations by the district court judge and said they may continue while the case is litigated.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Attorney General Pam Bondi welcomed the appeals court ruling calling it a "key win" for President Donald Trump's immigration agenda.
Trump campaigned for the White House on a pledge to deport millions of undocumented migrants.
In his ruling, Murphy had noted that Congress has made it US policy not to deport people to countries where their lives would be in danger or they could be subject to torture.
Murphy, an appointee of Democratic president Joe Biden, had previously sought to block the deportation of a group of migrants to war-torn South Sudan but was overruled by the conservative-dominated Supreme Court.
According to the US authorities, the eight men -- two from Myanmar, two from Cuba, and one each from Vietnam, Laos, Mexico and South Sudan -- were convicted violent criminals.
The Trump administration has defended third-country deportations as necessary since the home nations of some of those who are targeted for removal sometimes refuse to accept them.