Government leases four sugar factories, to pay Sh. 6 billion to farmers
Business
By
Ronald Kipruto
| May 09, 2025
Agriculture and Livestock CS Mutahi Kagwe before the National Assembly Agriculture and Livestock Committee at Parliament on February 21, 2025 [Boniface Okendo, Standard]
The government has completed the leasing of four sugar factories: Nzoia, Chemelil, Sony and Muhoroni, and agreed to pay Sh. 6 billion owed to farmers by July this year.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development said the move will address salary arrears owed to sugarcane workers and secure the future of both cane farmers and sugar factories.
"Following lengthy negotiations, the government has agreed with the Kenya Union of Sugar Plantation and Allied Workers (KUSPAW) to safeguard the interests of sugar factory workers," said Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe.
Under the agreement, the government will settle arrears owed to both farmers and workers before the handover of the factories to private millers.
READ MORE
Why Kenya feels like 1895 all over again
Government push for disability inclusion
Groups raise concerns over Tobacco Bill
Why Ruto, Ouattara meeting is important for Kenya and Ivory Coast
Ruto hosts African leaders at State House ahead of summit
Bill for two decades of failure by football officials is now due
Amsons Group pledges Sh4.5b for hospitals
Governor Waiguru banks on street lights to power Kirinyaga's 24hr economy
Governor Nassir launches construction of Kongowea Level 4 Hospital
Over Sh. 1.7 billion was paid to sugarcane farmers last year to clear arrears owed by sugar factories.
There will be a 12-month transition period during which the four lessees will evaluate their workforce needs and decide on the retention of current employees.
The Ministry will also remain responsible for unpaid salary arrears, pension contributions and statutory deductions up to the lease handover date.
The decision to lease the factories follows extensive consultations with stakeholders, including farmers, workers, unions, Members of Parliament and Governors. The Cabinet also approved the deal.
"It was informed by the need to ensure a return on investment for taxpayers, who have, over the years, bailed out the ailing sugar sector," said Kagwe.
"Last year, the government wrote off over Sh. 117 billion to bail out the local sugar industry and injected an additional Sh. 2.5 billion to clear arrears owed to farmers and workers," he added.