Pope's voice, mobility improves as recovers from pneumonia
World
By
AFP
| Apr 08, 2025
Pope Francis's voice and mobility continue to improve, the Vatican said Tuesday as the 88-year-old Catholic leader recovers from life-threatening pneumonia.
The Argentine pontiff spent five weeks in Rome's Gemelli hospital before returning home to the Vatican on March 23 for what doctors said would be at least two months of convalescence.
Despite being told to take it easy, Francis made a surprise appearance in St Peter's Square on Sunday at the end of a mass.
He was pushed into the square in a wheelchair, a cannula tucked into his nostrils to help him breathe, speaking into a microphone to wish the crowd a "good Sunday", and even greeting some people.
"The situation remains stable with those improvements we saw last Sunday," in terms of his motor skills, breathing and voice, the Vatican press office said.
READ MORE
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
The pontiff continues to use high-flow oxygen at night and when needed during the day, through a cannula. He is celebrating mass every day and is doing some work, the press office said.
He has slowly started to have some meetings, notably receiving Secretary of State Pietro Parolin on Monday, it added.
Francis remains in good humour, but his lung infection "is still there", the press office said.
King Charles III had been due to meet with the pope this week during a state visit to Italy but postponed due to Francis's ill health.