Murkomen: Ruto's remarks on abductions were misunderstood
Politics
By
Mate Tongola
| May 14, 2025
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has come to the defense of President William Ruto, stating that the Head of State's recent remarks on abductions were misinterpreted and taken out of context.
Addressing the press on Wednesday, May 14, Murkomen clarified that the President's comments were not meant to suggest that the government was responsible for the incidents.
"Many people misunderstood the President. His remarks were taken out of context. When he said the abductions had stopped and that the victims had returned home, it was in reference to the government's policy direction, not an admission of guilt," Murkomen stated.
According to the CS, Ruto had issued clear directives to end the abductions, and the government's commitment to upholding the rule of law should not be questioned.
"The fact that we said the abductions have stopped does not mean we were the ones behind them," Murkomen added.
READ MORE
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
While hosting Finnish President Alexander Stubb at State House earlier this week, he said that all individuals who had been abducted during the recent Gen Z-led protests had been returned to their families.
The comment sparked widespread concern among Kenyans, with many interpreting it as an implicit admission of state involvement in the abductions.