'It's too early to complain', Ruto chides Kalonzo over sugar bonuses
Politics
By
Stephanie Wangari
| Jan 23, 2025
President William Ruto has criticised Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka for questioning the source of funds used to pay sugarcane farmers at Mumias Sugar Factory.
Speaking today to residents of Nambale, Busia County, Ruto defended his administration's financial transparency and efficiency in managing the sugar sector.
"I promised to streamline operations at Mumias when I visited last year, and we have delivered. Workers are now paid their dues monthly, farmers receive payments weekly, and bonuses have been issued," said Ruto.
He dismissed Kalonzo's concerns about the source of the funds, stating, "I wonder when leaders question why sugarcane farmers are receiving bonuses. Such people must have been visited by the devil. The same place we get funds to pay tea and coffee bonuses is where we get money to pay sugarcane farmers."
READ MORE
NCBA: Nedbank sale deal on track as profit up 9pc
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Why housing has become an economic crisis
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
The head of state said his focus is to ensure that the sugar sector is self-sustaining so that it can pay its employees in good time including bonuses.
"Those complaining tell them it is too early, we forgive them because they might be sick, I will ensure even Sony and Nzioa sugar are up and running so that sugar cane farmers can also enjoy bonuses," said Ruto.
The President recently announced a Sh150 million bonus for farmers supplying cane to Mumias Sugar factory, marking the first such payment in the sector.
He stated that the bonus underscores the success of reforms in the sugar industry, demonstrating its potential to uplift farmers and support livelihoods.
"With a record 832,000 tonnes of sugar produced last year, Kenya is on course to attaining surplus production and commence regional exports by 2026, turning sugarcane cultivation into a viable and rewarding venture."
Kalonzo had earlier demanded that President Ruto explains the source of the funds, suggesting they may have come from the exchequer and required proper accountability.
"This Sh150 million, where is it coming from? It is not in our budget. These are questions of accountability," said Kalonzo.