Steve Munyakho's detention: Committee denies Sh129 payment to secure release
National
By
Mike Kihaki
| Mar 26, 2025
Uncertainty continues to cloud the fate of Steven Munyakho, a Kenyan facing execution in Saudi Arabia, as conflicting statements emerge over his release.
On Tuesday, March 25, United Democratic Alliance (UDA) Secretary-General Hassan Omar announced that a Sh129.5 million blood money payment had been secured for Munyakho's freedom.
"They have confirmed that the request has since been honoured, the $1 million (Sh129.5 million) paid, and the Kenyan will return home safe," Omar said, urging Kenyans abroad to respect foreign laws.
However, the committee advocating for his release now says they are yet to receive any official confirmation of this development.
In a statement, Joe Odindo, chair of the committee working on Munyakho's case, said that neither the Kenyan nor Saudi governments have communicated formally about his release.
READ MORE
NCBA: Nedbank sale deal on track as profit up 9pc
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Why housing has become an economic crisis
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
He also distanced the group from any knowledge of the purported payment, contradicting Omar's earlier statement.
"Steven has not been released from prison. He has been incarcerated for the past 13 years and, as of yesterday, is still being held in Dhaban prison, Jeddah," Odindo said. "As a committee, which includes his mother, we've only heard about the blood money payments through the media."
He further added that the committee had not been officially informed of Munyakho's release and that it has been actively fundraising to meet the demanded funds.
"We have yet to receive an official communication as a committee. We have contacted government officials in Kenya and Saudi Arabia and will notify the public of the latest developments," he said.
"The fundraising has been ongoing, and I am yet to know how much has been raised. What I can confirm is that all collections have been deposited in a specific account in Saudi Arabia," he added.
Munyakho was found guilty of manslaughter in Saudi Arabia, with the victim's family demanding compensation of Sh150 million.