Traffic on Nairobi-Nakuru Highway cleared after road accident
National
By
Mate Tongola
| Dec 23, 2024
Normal traffic has resumed on the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway following a Monday morning snarl-up caused by an accident in Magina area near Kijabe.
Police Spokesperson Resila Onyango confirmed that the incident occurred around 4am, causing a major traffic jam.
"Regarding the traffic jam and overlapping near Kijabe this morning, we wish to inform the public that the snarl-up was caused by an accident at Magina. The situation has been resolved, and the highway is now clear," Onyango said.
She also urged motorists to exercise caution when driving on the Nairobi-Limuru road due to mist and fog, which have caused poor visibility.
The Nairobi-Nakuru Highway is notorious for traffic congestion, especially during the festive season, as thousands travel upcountry.
READ MORE
NCBA: Nedbank sale deal on track as profit up 9pc
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Why housing has become an economic crisis
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Last week, the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) warned of increased traffic on the Rironi-Naivasha-Nakuru stretch, urging motorists to observe lane discipline and remain patient.
"KeNHA, with the support of traffic police, is working to ensure smooth traffic flow and safe travel for all road users," the Authority said in a statement.
KeNHA also recommended alternative routes to ease congestion, including:
- Naivasha-Njabini-Ol Kalou-Dundori-Lanet-Nakuru
- Flyover-Njabini-Ol Kalou-Dundori-Lanet-Nakuru
- Ngong-Suswa-Narok-Mau Narok-Nakuru
President William Ruto also addressed the persistent traffic challenges on the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway, announcing plans to dual the road under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program starting in 2025.
"The project will be implemented in two phases; Nairobi to Nakuru and Nakuru to Malaba," Ruto said, expressing optimism that the upgrade would significantly ease traffic on the major highway.