Seven residents burnt to death and scores injured in Pumwani night fire
Nairobi
By
Emmanuel Kipchumba
| Nov 21, 2024
At least seven people died, a dozen injured and more than 50 households destroyed following Tuesday's night fire that razed Kitui village in Pumwani, Nairobi.
Witnesses said the fire started around 6pm on Tuesday. On Wednesday, several families were still coming to terms with the loss including Metrin Muhonja, who lost her husband, three children and a neighbour to the deadly inferno.
Her husband was inside their house with their one-year old and four-year old children when the fire started. "When I returned, the fire was already at the gate, consuming my house and the neighbour's. My husband, my children, and the neighbour were trapped inside," Muhonja narrated in pain.
In unexpected twist, her third child, who had been away was also consumed by the fire. "I prayed that at least one of them would survive, but they are all gone now, I am left alone" she said.
READ MORE
NCBA: Nedbank sale deal on track as profit up 9pc
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Why housing has become an economic crisis
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Their grandmother Sarah Kuwise said the fire robbed her off the family members she was looking up to.
"My son was my pillar. He used to take me to work, buy me household items, and support me in many ways. Now, he is gone, along with my grandchildren who gave me strength and had bright futures ahead," said Sarah.
John Nyagah, a resident, was among the first to notice the fire but he said they were overwhelmed by the flames. He criticised the slow response of the county fire brigade, which arrived after the fire had destroyed homes and claimed lives.
Residents expressed frustration that the trucks arrived late and without sufficient water. "The county government must improve their response to such incidents," Nyagah said.