Ambitious Vihiga Queens set semis target in Cairo showpiece

Women in Sports
By Rodgers Eshitemi | Oct 01, 2021
Vihiga Queens players celebrate after beating Simba Queens (Tanzania) 2-1 in a CECAFA Regional Qualifiers match at Nyayo Stadium in September. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Vihiga Queens have set themselves the ambitious target of reaching semifinals in the inaugural Caf Women’s Champions League slated for November 5-19 in Cairo, Egypt.

But to achieve their lofty ambitions, the CECAFA Regional Qualifiers champions who beat Ethiopia’s CBE FC 2-1 in the finals at Kasarani Stadium to qualify for the continental tournament, need at least Sh10 million to facilitate their preparation and other related logistics.

Though the three-time Kenya Women Premier League champions (2017,2018 and 2019) have been drawn in a tough Group B alongside Nigeria’s Rivers Angels, Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies (South Africa) and ASFar FC (Morocco), Vihiga CEO Michael Senelwa says the team is ready to write history in Cairo.

“I think we are in a very good group. We are equally regional champions and as you are aware in modern football there is no big or small team. We are ready for the task. We are going there not underrating or fearing anybody. Our target is to reach the semis and see what happens from there,” Senelwa told Standard Sports.

“But to achieve our target we need close to Sh10 million for preparation, buy return tickets, pay players’ allowances and accommodation.”

Queens are set to face Ulinzi Starlets in the FKF Women’s Cup final in Nakuru tomorrow before heading to a four-week residential camp between October 18 and 22 in Nairobi.

The official was quick to thank Vihiga Governor Wilber Ottichilo for honouring his pledge of Sh1 million to the team for winning last month’s CECAFA tournament.

“The Governor’s pledge played a big role towards their preparation and winning the CECAFA title. We are grateful he eventually honored the promise and even pledged another Sh2 million if we win the title in Egypt,” said Senelwa.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS