Disgraceful: Rapinoe criticises Man United over delayed investment in women's team

Women in Sports
By Reuters | Nov 10, 2020
United States' Megan Rapinoe celebrates after scoring her side's second goal during the Women's World Cup quarterfinal soccer match between France and the United States at the Parc des Princes, in Paris, Friday, June 28, 2019. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

World Cup-winning U.S. midfielder Megan Rapinoe has denounced the lack of investment in women’s soccer around the world, saying it is “disgraceful” that a club like Manchester United had taken so long to revive their team.

United faced criticism for not forming a team after their women’s side was scrapped in 2005 and were granted a licence to play in the second-tier Championship in 2018.

The team immediately earned promotion to the Women’s Super League (WSL) and finished fourth in their maiden campaign in the top flight. They lead the table after six games this season following Sunday’s 1-0 win over Arsenal.

“Women’s football in England is the same as in America. It’s so far behind because of what we’ve had to overcome in the lack of investment,” Rapinoe told the BBC.

In this file photograph taken on July 10, 2019, USA women's captain Megan Rapinoe (R) celebrates next to NY Mayor Bill de Blasio in front of the City Hall after the ticker tape parade for the women's World Cup Football champions in New York. (Photo by Johannes EISELE / AFP)

“It’s 2020. How long has the Premier League been around? And we’re only just seeing a club like Manchester United put effort and pounds towards a women’s team? Frankly, it’s disgraceful.”

Several U.S. women’s international players have joined the WSL this season with Tobin Heath and Christen Press signing for United, Rose Lavelle and Sam Mewis moving to Manchester City and Alex Morgan sealing a loan switch to Tottenham Hotspur.

Rapinoe, who claimed the Ballon d’Or in 2019 after a career-defining year in which she won her second World Cup title, opted out of National Women’s Soccer League competitions this year.

“I’ve had a few teammates go abroad and play, while I’m training and trying to keep fit in the hopes that eventually we’ll be out of this hellscape,” Rapinoe said.

“I want to keep playing. I’m definitely not anywhere near retirement - I absolutely want to play at the Olympics.”

 

 

 

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS