Man who killed father over food freed after 10 years in remand
Western
By
Mary Imenza
| Dec 24, 2023
A man who killed his father a decade ago following a disagreement over food has been freed by the High Court in Kakamega.
Geoffrey Mandela, 28, got a taste of freedom after Justice Chirchir Chebet declared that he was barely an adult when he committed the offense.
The judge also stated that Mandela had reformed during the 10 years he spent in custody.
"I am convinced that what the accused needs is rehabilitation not inside the prison. Therefore, I order the accused be released forthwith unless otherwise lawfully held," ruled Justice Chebet.
READ MORE
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
State goes after Russian who secretly recorded Kenyan women
EACC goes after Kaberia, Mwendwa over Sh330m in CHAN stadium scam
EACC sues to recover Sh330 million in CHAN stadium contract
Supporters of Opposition, Ruto clash in Taita Taveta
President will win in 2027 using same old bag of political tricks
Gachagua lost, Lamu Woman Rep gained from 'tutam' booing incident
Results of 1,180 candidates cancelled over irregularities
Kilifi learners benefit from Sh.8.5 million NGAAF scholarship
'Kenya Moja' MPs are inspired by selflessness or selfishness
The judge noted the accused had been threatened by his father and was reacting to an incident of domestic violence.
Mandela was arrested on March 23, 2014, at Sichelechele village, Iguhu location, in Kakamega where he committed the offense.
He testified that his father, Benedict Likulu, was always violent and frequently attacked him.
He said on the fateful day, he had just arrived home at around 7pm from a football match at Sigalagala Primary when his father emerged as he was having a meal.
"My father interjected by questioning where I had been because I had failed to take care of the cattle. To him, I did not deserve the food," said Mandela.
Walking stick
He added that after some insults, his father hit him with a walking stick which prompted him to retaliate.
"I snatched the walking stick from him and hit him once on the forehead and he sustained fatal injuries," he said.
In her judgment, the judge said Mandela overreacted and the force used was excessive.
"The victim was his father and I am of the view that their sense of loss will not be assuaged by further incarceration and will be aggravated instead," said Justice Chebet.