Governor Lusaka ultimatum to Sh500 million industrial park contractor

Western
By Benard Lusigi | Aug 25, 2025
Bungoma Governor Kenneth Lusaka during a church function. [Photo, Standard]

Bungoma Governor Kenneth Lusaka has ordered the firm constructing the Sh500 million County Aggregation and Industrial Park to present its work plan on the implementation of the project.

He said the contractor must in two weeks present a clear plan on how the implementation of the project will be accelerated, failure to which the contract will be terminated.

He spoke during an impromptu inspection tour of the site at Sang'alo.

"I have given you two weeks to come up with a workable plan with my officials. If I don't see tangible progress within that time, I will have no choice but to terminate the contract," he said.

Lusaka said his administration has allocated enough money for the project, and that people were waiting to use the project in uplifting their lives and boosting our local economy.

The governor expressed disappointment that despite the project having been commissioned by President William Ruto earlier this year, progress remains far behind schedule.

Lusaka said the park was one of Bungoma's flagship development projects to transform the county's economy through value addition, job creation, and improved market access for farmers.

"Bungoma residents cannot continue waiting while deadlines slip. Our people must see the value for their money in the project," Lusaka said.

He said his administration would ensure that project is delivered on time, saying the people of Bungoma are eagerly awaiting the economic opportunities that the facility promises.

"We cannot afford laxity. I will personally follow up to ensure deadlines are met. We must put those tasked with responsibilities to account. Any form of laziness will not be tolerated because we have competent and seriously qualified contractors who can do the work on time," he added.

Mercy Ndanu, a businesswoman in Chepukube market, expressed dissatisfaction with the progress of the project, urging Governor Lusaka to ensure the facility is completed on time.

"Early this year, we were promised that this project would be completed by June this year. Interestingly, we are in August, and there is not much to be proud of. We are tired of promises. 'Our governor has taken a bold and good move to put the contractor on notice, but will he walk the walk?' asked Ndanu.

She added, "We want the governor and president to stop public relations and ensure the project is completed on time to help the intended people economically and boost our local economy because as traders we are encountering losses due to lack of market, and yet we have the goods."

The Bungoma County Aggregation and Industrial Park is part of the national government's plan to establish at least one industrial hub in every county.

The facility is designed to provide aggregation, processing, packaging, and storage services for agricultural produce, with a focus on maize, beans, bananas, and dairy products that form the backbone of Bungoma's economy.

However, in March this year, during his inspection tour at the site, Trade and Industrialisation Principal Juma Mukhwana promised locals that the project was on track for completion by June this year, but that is not the case now.

"The park is at thirty per cent complete, and if the same pace is maintained, we expect it to be completed and running by the end of June," said PS Mukhwana earlier on.

He noted that the contractor encountered difficulties with the site's topography, particularly in removing large boulders, which slowed construction during the initial phase.

Once complete, the park is expected to link farmers directly to regional and international markets, reduce post-harvest losses, and spur industrialisation in Western Kenya.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS