Paris 2024: Malkia Strikers pick positives from France as they exit Olympic games

Volleyball and Handball
By Rodgers Eshitemi in Paris | Aug 04, 2024
Kenya's Pamella Adhiambo (left) and Belinda Barasa celebrate a point against Japan during the women's preliminary round volleyball match at the South Paris Arena 1 in Paris. [AFP]

Even though Malkia Strikers' wait for a set win at the Olympics Games has been prolonged, the players have learnt some valuable lessons and experience from the 2024 Paris Olympic Games.

It was a case of so close yet so far for the record African champions as they agonisingly lost by another straight sets (to Japan in their final Group B match at South Paris Arena on Saturday.

Like a wounded lion, after suffering a 3-0 defeat against Brazil (25-14, 25-13, 25-12) and Poland (25-14, 25-17, 25-15), Malkia took the game to the Asian side but unfortunately they couldn't manage to win a single set. The Kenyans sadly lost 25-17,25-22 and 25-12 as they exited the competition.

While it wasn't the type of performance many Kenyan volleyball fans expected, the tournament has not only offered a professional deal to Kenya Pipeline attacker Pamela Adhiambo but also exposed a number of the youthful players who were making their debut at the Olympics.

Adhiambo, who was one of the standout players for Kenya on her first appearance at the Games, has already signed a two-year deal with Finnish side LP Vesti.

But for captain Trizah Atuka, Esther Mutinda, Emmaculate Nekesa, Belinda Barasa, Juliana Namutira and Veronica Adhiambo they are going back to Kenya as Olympians together with their head coach Japheth Munala.

Even as he takes pride in his team's performance, assistant coach Josp Baraza admits that it is time for Kenya to embrace technology in their training.

"It's really disappointing that our wait for a set victory at Olympics continues. This is a big concern to us, but I think we need to improve on our preparations and play high-profile friendlies," Baraza told Standard Sports.

"We were almost there against Japan moreso in the second set, but we lost concentration at the 20-point mark. We had a few mistakes in service and reception, and the blocks didn't click. Japan were very fast, tactical and their setter was brilliant.

"If you look at most teams here, their technical benches have almost ten experts including statisticians yet on our side we are only three. We need to beef up our TB and go scientific if we want to do well at this level," he said.

Just like Baraza, captain Atuka wants the federation to build on their Olympics experience and organise friendlies with top teams in the world.

"We really tried and gave a good account of ourselves against Japan, but results didn't come our way. Japan were very fast and good with their back defence. They played quick match to dismantle our plans. We fought hard moreso in the second set because we knew a win would have changed the dynamics of the game but it didn't happen," said Atuka.

"We might have lost, but it came with a lot of positives and opportunities for these players who have been scouted here in Europe. This will help us improve as a team in future assignments. We have seen this through the likes Chumba (Sharon) and Veronica (Adhiambo).

She added: "We can see improvements from this team compared to the previous outings here. If we can get more exposure, this team can go places. We can be the best in Africa, but you can see the level here is totally different."

Former national men's volleyball captain Dan Wanyama who is the current Parliamentary Sports Committee chairman Dan Wanyama termed the performance as historic.

"It is the first time the team has gone past the 20-point mark at the Games. That's quite incredible," said Wanyama.

"Preparations for Los Angeles 2028 must start now since most of these Malkia players have age on their side."

National Olympic Commitee of Kenya (NOC-K) president Paul Tergat said: "Although Malkia didn't progress to the next round, they have given their best. The future is bright."

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS