Malkia Strikers cry for help as they prepare for global event

Volleyball and Handball
By Ernest Ndunda | Sep 10, 2022
Malkia Strikers libero Agrippina Kundu receives the ball during their Olympic group match against South Korea on Wednesday in Tokyo. [FIVB]

Nobody has felt it harder than Malkia Strikers coach Paul Bitok after the government failed to come to the aid of the team currently in Brazil.

The team is preparing for the World Championships scheduled for September 23 to October 15 in Netherlands and Poland.

"We are struggling financially in Brazil because the government has failed to come to the aid of the team," Bitok said.

"My request to the Ministry of Sports is that they pay the allowances and other pending bills to enable the team focus on training so as to get the best performance in the forthcoming World Championships," the coach said.

In April, Kenya Volleyball Federation forwarded a budget of Sh 46 million to the ministry of sports to facilitate their logistics that included air tickets, players' allowances among other facilitation but the government remained non-committal.

On June 21, the Ministry of Sports through the State Department of Sports issued a memo to all federations saying that the government was not in a position to sponsor teams for international events.

"It is therefore to inform all federations expecting funding from the government that it will not be possible to be funded due to budgetary constraints and instead the federations should seek for sponsorship from other organisations," said the memo from the Sports Ministry Principal Secretary Joe Okundo and signed by Joel Atuti on behalf of the Director Sports.

In order to save Kenya from suspension from International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) incase they failed to participate in the World Championships, a local gaming company, MozzartBet came to the rescue of the team by giving a Sh10 million sponsorship that enabled the team to travel to Brazil for the high attitude training program.

However, despite the financial hiccups at the team's training camp, Bitok said the team is going on with the training.

"We have so far played 10 competitive matches where we managed to win three. We still have two more friendly matches before the team embarks on the next program," Bitok said.

Bitok said the team will not travel back to Kenya as it was expected after the training Brazil training due to delays emanating from endorsement of the Netherland's Visa which, were received on Thursday.

"We couldn't travel back to Kenya as planned since the circumstances gave us no choice and we had to adjust with the new program," Bitok said.

The team is set to fly to Belgrade, Serbia next Wednesday for two friendly matches and later fly to Netherlands on September 20 ready for action from September 23.

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS