Prisons out to break the jinx at global event in Switzerland

Volleyball and Handball
By By Oscar Pilipili | Sep 29, 2013

By Oscar Pilipili

Prisons volleyball team are out to break the jinx of not winning a match when they participate in 2013 FIVB Women’s Club Championships to be staged in Zurich, Switzerland, on October 7-14.

Prisons have participated in the event for last three years, but they have not won any match so far.

Diana Khisa (top), captain of the team, is optimistic that the side that doubles up as Africa and National championships would record better results this time.

She said: “All of us understand that the task ahead is not easy but we’re well prepared to face any opposition.”

Khisa predicted that their opening match against Chinese side Guangdong Evergrande on October 9 would be explosive.

The opening match would be very competitive since the team that wins would have realistic chances of qualifying for the second round of the competition,” she said.

The captain indicated that their second match against hosts Volero Zurich on October 11 would be equally tough for obvious reasons.

“In sports there is what is called home ground advantage. Zurich would be playing at home and they would not want to disappoint their fans by losing any match,” Khisa told FeverPitch at Kasarani, yesterday.

“As players, we don’t fear any team. We’re determined to play our best volleyball and qualify for semis,” she said.

“Our aim is to score as many points as possible in every match for us to win at least one match and advance to the second round of the competition,” said the captain.

Khisa is one of the most experienced Prisons’ players, having featured in the last three editions of the annual event.

Other players who are matching Khisa in appearance record include setter Jane Wacu and Mercy Moim.

The team, coached by David Lung’aho is scheduled to depart on October 6.

This would be four days after National Under-23 team would have left for FIVB Women’s World Championships in Tijuana, Mexico.

Meanwhile, Egypt claimed their fifth consecutive continental crown and seventh in total after they beat Morocco 3-1 (21-25, 25-18, 25-12, 25-22) in the final day of 2013 Men’s African Nations Championship held in Sousse, Tunisia last Friday.

Tunisia beat Cameroon 3-2 (19-15, 25-21, 29-27, 19-25, 19-17) and Algeria tamed Libya (25-20, 25-16, 25-15).


 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS