NO JOY IN LOCKING UP RIVALS: Prisons volleyball team coach Lung'aho not carried away with impressive form

Volleyball and Handball
By Rodgers Eshitemi | Oct 17, 2016

Prisons Kenya coach David Lung’aho insists his side is not getting carried away by their unbeaten run in the Kenya Volleyball Federation League (Women’s) as they seek to reclaim the title they lost to champions Kenya Pipeline in 2013.

The Wardresses have been in an impressive form this season, securing a top spot in the league with a massive 30 points from ten matches, nine points ahead of champions and arch-rivals Kenya Pipeline.

Since the return of the quartet of Braxcides Agala, Jane Wacu, Evelyn Makuto and Mercy Moim from their professional stints in Europe, the five time African Champions have been tearing their opponents apart at will.

The two giants will battle with Nairobi Water and Kenya Commercial Bank for next year’s continental ticket after the pair earned the remaining two play-off slots at last weekend’s final leg in Eldama Ravine.

Although the Malkia Strikers coach is wary of the threat of all the three playoffs opponents, he is eager to end their three year title drought.

“Yes, I am very happy with the performance of the team. The return of Wacu, Makuto, Agala, the massive improvement of Wisah (Edith) and other team members has been the key. We believe we can go ahead and win the playoffs. But it is not going to be easy because all the teams have shown intentions to win,” Lung’aho told Feverpitch.

“We are taking every opponent as a threat because they are in the playoffs by merit.”

It is a thought shared by Kenya Ports Authority coach cum player James Ontere, whose side beat Kenya Defence Forces 3-1 in the Men’s League to deny them a play-off slot for the first time in history.

“We finished third last year, but we have proved that we have grown by qualifying for a second time in a row. It will not be easy, but we are going to prepare well with an aim of improving on our last year’s performance,” said Ontere.

General Service Unit team manager Nicholas Kimeli is also braced for a tough outing in Mombasa as they look forward to retaining the crown.

“We have had a good season so far, but the real test will be in Mombasa. We will try our best to defend the title.”

Other Men’s teams that have qualified for the play-offs are surprise package Nairobi Water and former champions Kenya Prisons.

Meanwhile, Rwanda U23 women’s team arrived yesterday ahead of the Confederations of African Volleyball Under 23 Championships to serve off on Sunday at the Kasarani Gymnasium.

The championship has attracted six teams including hosts Kenya, Senegal, Tunisia, Botswana and Egypt.

Share this story
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS