Police disown social media alert on terror attacks
Counties
By
Cyrus Ombati
| Jun 15, 2016
Police have disowned a social media alert warning of impending terror attacks on key installations.
The alert has contacts alleged to be of top police officers in the city and those of police emergency lines. Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet said the alert did not emanate from his office and asked the public to disregard it.
"We are calling on the public not to panic but to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious person or activity to the nearest police station or through our toll-free numbers 999, 911 and 112," he said.
Mr Boinnet said the alert mentioned a number of malls, universities and supermarkets as targets by terrorists reportedly hiding in Eastleigh and Kariobangi.
Despite the Ramadhan period being a time of prayer and reflection among Muslim faithful, Boinnet said terror groups may take advantage to commit atrocities targeting civilians.
READ MORE
Zani defends NADCO committee ahead of March 7 deadline
Bishop questions Sh11.9 trillion public debt as hardship bites
Kenya's Sh515 million open defecation crisis
Towers: The new kings of Nairobi's skyline
Educational institutions boost investors' appetite in Murang'a
Family cries fail over delays in postmortem of their slain kin
Wetang'ula pushes for stronger Kenya - Egypt parliamentary diplomacy
Thika MP faulted for attacking Governor during launch of Sh800M stadium
Murang'a students population on the rise as value of property skyrockets
10,000 Agripreneurs deployed nationwide to boost food production
"As we may be all aware, terror attacks have previously been witnessed during such period. We therefore call upon Kenyans to exercise extra vigilance and report suspicious activities or elements and agencies," he said.
Boinnet added in the past few weeks the police have witnessed sporadic attempts to stage terror attacks in Mandera and Wajir counties, which though repulsed, indicated the determination by Al Shabaab to unleash mayhem.
This, he said, signals the determination of the enemy to conduct attacks in the country in retaliation to the several losses suffered at the hands of Amisom forces in Somalia.
He cited the Kenya-Somalia border as the highest risk area for such attacks, saying some terrorists were suspected to have sneaked into Malindi, Mombasa and Nairobi.
"...hence public service vehicles operators, hotel keepers are requested to exercise extra vigilance," he said.
He said terrorists may also masquerade as herders looking for pasture or refugees to sneak into the country.
"We therefore ask for vigilance particularly around Boni Forest and its environs, Kiunga, Mandera, Wajir, Ijara and Garissa."