Heineken stopped from terminating contract for distributors

News
By Dominic Omondi | May 03, 2016

Dutch beer manufacturer, Heineken, has been stopped from terminating its contract with three distribution companies.

The interim order was issued by Justice Eric Ogola against the brewer who issued termination notices to three distributors- Kenya's Maxam Limited, Uganda's Modern Lane Limited and Tanzania's Olepasu Limited.

"Pending the hearing and determination of this application, the defendants or any other person acting on their instructions be and is hereby restrained by an injunction from appointing any distributor for the distribution of the Heineken beer brand in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania being the business currently carried out by the applicants," said Justice Ogola.

The three argued that Heineken had not given them any valid reasons for the termination. They also expressed fear that Heineken was planning to replace them with different distributors but on different terms to operate in a market which they, the distributors, have already set up and extensively established.

The distributors claimed that they had put up massive financial investments including securing a €250,000 (Sh29,052,585) guarantee from one of the reputable Kenyan banks.

They also acquired, maintained and operated numerous warehousing units, utilising temperature records in storage areas, established existing set of delivery routes and acquired numerous lorries and other vehicles.

The distributors reckoned that as a result of their efforts, business for the brewer in the region- Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania- has grown considerably recording a turnover of Sh1.87 billion in 2015 from Sh1.39 billion recorded in 2014.

Heineken was to compensate each distributor with €450,000 (Sh51 million) in the event of termination of a contract.

Heineken sent termination notices to the three distributors last month. The distributors have sued Heineken International BV and its subsidiaries Heineken East Africa Import Company and Heineken Brouwerjen BV.

Heineken had refuted the distributors' claims through one of its general manager Uche Unigwe in a sworn affidavit. Heineken argues that it never formerly approved the choice of sub-distributor by HIBV thus breaching a part of the contract.

The brewer had argued that the deals struck with the three firms allowed it to terminate the agreements without having to make any explanations.

The termination, it says, is aimed at deleting the exclusivity clause in the current contracts to open up the distribution of its products across the region to more firms that are willing to partner with it.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS