State gives Mumias Sugar Sh1.1 billion more

News
By Jackline Inyanji | Apr 28, 2016

Mumias Sugar Company (MSC) has received Sh1.1 billion as advance payment for the second bailout from the Government.

This brings to Sh2.1 billion the amount given to the company by the Government for its restructuring plan.

MSC Chairman Dan Ameyo said the funding has come at the right time as the bailout will be used to settle outstanding payments.

“We have put in place a spending plan approved by the board of directors and shared with stakeholders in the restructuring of the company. The funds shall be directed to purchase of factory spares in preparation for factory rehabilitation, farmer’s payments and staff rationalisation,” Mr Ameyo said.

Last year, the Government released Sh1 billion to the miller and announced a revival strategy that includes undertaking a rights issue to raise between Sh3 and Sh4 billion.

Key role

Wednesday, Ameyo thanked the Government for the timely intervention.

“The local leadership has also played a key role in keeping hope alive within the population while standing by our side. I also thank our esteemed suppliers and service providers and other creditors for your patience and goodwill that has enabled the company to stay on track despite challenges so far faced along a difficult recovery path,” he said.

Over the last three years, the company has struggled financially affecting thousands of farmers who depend on it.

Between 2013 and 2014, Mumias registered losses running into billions of shillings that almost brought the company to a halt.

An audit revealed that irregularity in management, bloated staff, a weak governance structure, exaggeration of transport and input costs, and inefficiency in production processes were some of the issues bogging down the firm.

Share this story
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS