New IAAF road map includes doubling anti-doping budget

Football
By Reuters | Jan 06, 2016

LONDON, The governing body of world athletics has promised to double the anti-doping budget as part of a 10-point "road map" to restore trust in the sport.

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) released a statement on Tuesday outlining five steps for "building trust in the governing body" and five more for "building trust in competition".

The measures include increasing the anti-doping budget to $8 million, doubling the international testing pool of athletes to 1,000 and establishing a separate integrity unit for track and field.

The aim of the plan, according to the IAAF, is to make the governing body "an accountable, responsible and responsive organisation".

The sport was plunged into crisis at the end of last year after an initial report by the independent commission of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) detailed systematic, state-sponsored doping and related corruption in Russia.

The IAAF itself has also been beset by corruption allegations regarding the taking of bribes to cover up doping.

Retired president Lamine Diack, who has now been succeeded by Sebastian Coe, was last month placed under formal investigation by French authorities on suspicion of corruption and money laundering.

Coe, who is under fire for having taken too long to act on allegations of impropriety within the governing body, said he was under no illusions about the seriousness of the issues facing the organisation.

"I am president of an international federation which is under serious investigations and I represent a sport under intense scrutiny," he said in the statement.

"My vision is to have a sport that attracts more young people. The average age of those watching track and field is 55 years old. This is not sustainable.

"The key to making that vision a reality is creating a sport that people once more trust in," added Coe.

"Athletics must be a sport that athletes, fans, sponsors, media and parents alike know is safe to compete in on a level playing field and one in which clean effort is rewarded and celebrated."

The second part of WADA's independent commission report is due to be released on Jan. 14.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS