Guardiola demands apology after Man City overturn Euro ban

Football
By AFP | Jul 14, 2020
Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - April 17, 2019 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola reacts REUTERS

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City deserve an apology after successfully overturning their European ban but rival managers Jose Mourinho and Jurgen Klopp criticised the ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

CAS on Monday lifted a two-year ban imposed earlier this year on the Premier League club by European football’s governing body UEFA over alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules between 2012 and 2016.

Guardiola feels the club proved their innocence after years of accusations related to their financial strength and says it is time for others to accept their place among the elite is merited.

“I am incredibly happy for the decision. It shows all the people said about the club wasn’t true,” the City boss told a pre-match press conference. 

“We should be being apologised to,” he added. “If we did something wrong we would accept, absolutely, the decisions from UEFA and CAS.”

The City boss has hit out at rival clubs for what he believes was a “whispering” campaign to discredit them.

“We don’t expect Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea or Wolves, or all the clubs, to defend us but we have the right to defend ourselves when we believe what we have done is correct, and three independent judges said this,” he said.

– ‘Disaster’ –

Tottenham manager Mourinho said the court’s decision was a “disaster” and showed FFP, which limits club’s spending in line with their revenue, was now dead, while Liverpool boss Klopp said City’s reprieve was a bad day for football.

City were punished by UEFA in February over “serious breaches” of FFP regulations but immediately contested the ban.

CAS found that City had failed to cooperate with UEFA authorities but said the club “did not disguise equity funding as sponsorship contributions”.

UEFA recognised in a statement that many of the allegations fell outside the five-year time limit in its own regulations.

An initial fine of 30 million euros ($34 million, £27 million) imposed by UEFA was reduced to 10 million euros by CAS. However, the fine related only to City’s failure to cooperate with UEFA’s investigation rather than FFP breaches.

Mourinho said if they were guilty, City should be banned — but if they were innocent, they should not have to pay a penny.

“It’s a disgraceful decision, because if Man City is not guilty then to be punished with some millions is a disgrace. If you are not guilty, you are not punished. By the other way if you are guilty you should be banned so it is also a disgraceful decision. In any case the decision is a disaster,” said Mourinho.

Share this story
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
Aston Villa fans turned out in their thousands on Thursday to celebrate the English side's Europa League final triumph -- their first silverware in 30 years.
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS