Harambee Stars legend Otieno out of hospital

Football
By Washington Onyango | Jul 09, 2020
Musa Otieno during a past training session. [Dennis Okeyo, Standard]

Former Harambee Stars defender and captain Musa Otieno has been discharged from hospital.

The 46-year-old former Tusker player had been admitted to the Kenyatta National Hospital on June 26.

Yesterday, Musa through his family members thanked everyone who stood by him, saying he is feeling better.

His brother Barack Ouma told Standard Sports that Otieno is in good shape and responding to treatment well.

He said Otieno will be required to self-isolate for 14 days as per Ministry of Health directives.

“I would want to assure Kenyans that Otieno is strong and healthy now. He is doing good compared to 10 days ago when he was admitted. Now all he has to do is self-quarantine and wait to see how he will be after that,” Ouma said.

Musa ‘Otero’ Otieno is regarded as one of the most talented and disciplined footballers of his generation in Kenya.

An accomplished and gigantic central defender, he featured for AFC Leopards and Tusker in the Kenyan Premier League during his formative years.

He would then seal a high-profile transfer to Sanlam Santos in South Africa where he spent more than a decade at the club as a player and later on coach.

He also captained a star-studded Harambee Stars at the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations in Tunisia which included the likes of Dennis Oliech, Mike Okoth and Titus Mulama.

After retirement, Otieno worked under coaches Bobby Williamson and Stanley Okumbi as Harambee Stars assistant coach.

Otieno has led programmes seeking to help vulnerable Kenyans during the pandemic period much recently through his Kick Off To Hope organisation, which supported over 600 families in low-income areas.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS