Premier League star dating 15-year-old Brazilian model
Sports
By
Mirror
| Feb 03, 2020
Watford's new signing Joao Pedro is dating 15-year-old Brazilian TV star Mel Maia.
Pedro, 18, completed his move to the Hornets at the start of the January window, and has since been settling into life in England.
And the forward was paid a visit by his girlfriend just last week, with Pedro then uploading a picture to Instagram of them kissing on Southwark Bridge.
The legal age of consent in the UK is 16, compared with 14 in their native Brazil.
A Watford spokesman told the Star: "Both Joao and his girlfriend are acutely aware of both the legality and cultural differences between the UK and Brazil.
READ MORE
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
TSC boss Mitei honoured at regions' Superwoman awards
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Kenyans shine at International Creator Day 2026
Kenya is over-politicised while systems are routinely ignored
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
The paradox of success in Africa Forward Summit
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Delusion: When guests mistake African hospitality for hegemony
"She has flown back to Brazil, will remain resident there and has no intention of returning to England until after her 16th birthday.”
The pair have been in a relationship since September - the same month as Pedro's birthday, while Maia does not turn 16 until May.
Maia shot to fame in 2012 as Rita in hit TV soap Avenida Brasil, earning her multiple awards.
She then starred as the main role of Perola in the drama Joia Rara.
In a separate post on Instagram almost two months ago, Pedro uploaded another picture with Maia, along with the caption: "My heart is yours."
While in another he said: "You complete me."
Maia put her own picture up alongside Pedro, which said: "Thank you 2k19 [2019] for giving me the best gift."
Pedro's move to Watford has been a few months in the offing, after the Hornets agreed terms with Fluminense back in October.
Watford paid out £3.6million to acquire his services on a five-year contract.
He made his debut as a substitute in the FA Cup clash with Tranmere on January 4, with his first start coming in the replay defeat.
Boss Nigel Pearson said on his arrival: "It's important for him to settle in and it's important we don't heap too much pressure on a player of such young years.
"We know he is keen to get started and I'm sure he'll get a warm welcome and get support from the players and the club."