Manchester United’s permanent penalty taker confirmed after Pogba miss

Football
By Mirror | Aug 22, 2019
Manchester United attacking duo Marcus Rahsford and Paul Pogba [Courtesy]

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reportedly selected Marcus Rashford as Manchester United's permanent penalty taker.

The decision comes after Paul Pogba missed from the spot in Monday night's 1-1 draw with Wolves.

The French midfielder grabbed the penalty after being felled at Molineux but saw his spot-kick saved by Rui Patricio.

Pogba's penalty record is shaky at best and many were puzzled by Solskjaer's decision to let him step up, particularly after Rashford scored against Chelsea on the opening weekend.

The Sun reports Solskjaer tore into the two players over the penalty incident in the dressing room at full time.

And it is claimed the United boss told his players that Rashford will take penalties from now on.

Solskjaer refused to criticise his players publicly when speaking to the media after the game and insisted both Pogba and Rashford are designated takers.

The United boss told Sky Sports: "It is up to them, there and then, to decide 'this is mine'

"Sometimes, players feel that they are confident to score. Paul has scored so many penalties for us but today Patricio made a good save.

Asked if the situation would change, Solskjaer said: "No. The two of them have been very confident before. Marcus scored last week and would have loved to but Paul was confident."

Pogba has suffered racial abuse after missing the penalty with teammates Marcus Rashford and Harry Maguire both condemning social media users.

Maguire wrote on Twitter: "Disgusting. Social media need to do something about it.

"Every account that is opened should be verified by a passport/driving licence. Stop these pathetic trolls making numerous accounts to abuse people."

Share this story
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS