Manchester City star blasted for failing to pay nanny

Football
By Mirror | Jun 26, 2019
Riyad Mahrez [Courtesy]

Riyad Mahrez and his wife have reportedly been ordered to hand over thousands of pounds to their children's nanny who complained she had not been properly paid by the star.

A judge ruled the Manchester City player, who makes £200,000-a-week with the champions, and wife Rita made an unauthorized deduction from Catalina Miraflores's pay packet, The Sun reports.

The money was reportedly owed for overtime and expenses incurred by the nanny, who was paid £12-an-hour, for looking after their children after the footballer moved from Leicester City to Manchester.

The 28-year-old winger transferred to Manchester in 2018 as part of a deal reported to be worth £60 million.

Employment judge John Sherratt ruled that Mahrez, who also plays for the Algerian national team, and his partner should have paid their nanny £3,612.

The couple should also have covered expenses incurred by Ms Miraflores and were ordered to pay £150 in damages.

Ms Miraflores, 52, told the paper: "I worked really, really hard for that money. But he had not paid me. I didn't know what to do.

Riyad Mahrez and his wife Rita [Courtesy]

"There was never any problem with my work. I worked all of those hours and should be paid.

“Mahrez earns £200,000 a week. I don’t want to destroy anyone’s reputation — I just wanted my money. He’s a cheapskate.”

Mr Sherratt said in a written judgment: "The respondents have made an unauthorized deduction from the claimant's wages and are ordered to pay the claimant the net sum of £3,612.

"The respondents, in breach of contract, have failed to pay certain expenses to the claimant and are ordered to pay damages to the claimant in the sum of £150.00."

Mahrez has until July 3 to comply with the order.

It is a bizarre end to what had been a successful season for Mahrez, who helped his Man City side towards a domestic treble.

Mirror Sport has contacted Manchester City for comment.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS