Emiliano Sala laid to rest
Sports
By
AFP
| Feb 17, 2019
The funeral of Cardiff City striker Emiliano Sala took place in his home village in Argentina yesterday, three weeks after he was killed in a plane crash.
A public vigil was held in a gymnasium in Progreso, the modest village in the province of Santa Fe, which Sala left as a teenager to forge a career in Europe.
Sala’s father, mother, sister and friends were seen arriving at the ceremony and dozens of local people filed in after them.
The 28-year-old died on January 21 just two days after completing a £15 million move to the Premier League club from French club Nantes.
The single-engine private plane carrying Sala and pilot David Ibbotson crashed in the English Channel near Alderney. Sala had been flying back to Wales after returning to France to say goodbye to his former teammates.
READ MORE
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
Thunder plot Equity Bank raid as Premier League tips off
Kenya Army, KPA and Equity win as league second leg gets underway
Lemke, Jarvis on one stroke lead as Njoroge shoulders Kenya's hope
Odhiambo leads congratulations as Kanjama becomes LSK's 52nd president
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
How Kenya is now positioning itself as top sports destination
Magical Kenya Open: Kruyswijk, Kibugu inspire local charges as battle intensifies
The player’s body was recovered from the submerged wreckage on February 7, but Ibbotson remains missing, with funds being raised to continue the search for the 59-year-old.
Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock and the club’s chief executive Ken Choo, both travelled to Argentina to attend the ceremony.
Nantes, for whom Sala scored 42 goals in 120 league appearances, were represented by defender Nicolas Pallois and general secretary Loic Morin.
Sala, a lanky striker, began his career at San Martin de Progreso, and the local club was at the centre of yesterday’s ceremony.
“People will be able to pass by the coffin, leave a letter, a drawing or flowers,” the club’s president, Daniel Ribero, told AFP.
“He represented a lot for us. We’re a small village and Emi was a celebrity, the only player to turn professional.”
One mourner, Miguel Angel Pereira, 68, made the 70-kilometre (43-mile) journey from Santa Fe to pay his respects.
“I wanted to be here. I was a San Martin player myself in the 1960s,” he said.