Ronaldo targets Champions League glory at new club Juventus

Football
By Reuters | Jul 16, 2018
Cristiano Ronaldo on his #UCL ambitions at Juventus, leaving Real Madrid and why he's never been better

Juventus's record signing Cristiano Ronaldo has said his move from Real Madrid was a "well thought out decision" as the Portugal forward aims to help his new club win their first Champions League title in more than two decades.

Ronaldo, who joined the Italian champions last week on a four-year contract for 100 million euros ($117.07 million), added that he did not want to stay in his comfort zone after winning three straight European Cups with Real.

???? Stepping into #CR7DAY like ???? #CR7JUVE @Cristiano pic.twitter.com/7WzAz4lwDd — JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) July 16, 2018

The 33-year-old left Los Blancos as their all-time top scorer with 451 goals in all competitions and won two La Liga titles and four Champions League trophies over nine years.

"I'm a person who likes to think about the present," he told a news conference on Monday. "I'm still very young and I always liked the challenges, from Sporting, to Manchester (United), to Real (Madrid) and now Juventus.

"It was a well thought-out decision. It is the best club in Italy. It has an outstanding manager (Massimiliano Allegri) and coaches so it was not a difficult decision to take."

"I am very ambitious and I like new challenges. I hope everything will go very well. Luck always helps but you have to look for it."

Ronaldo said he was grateful for the opportunity to represent Juventus, admitting players of his age usually settle for a move to less competitive leagues in Qatar or China.

"Usually players think their careers are over when they are 33. But I don't feel that at all," he said, adding that this showed he was "different from the others".

"(Juve) is a big club and usually players of my age go to Qatar or to China, with all due respect, so coming to such an important and great club at this stage in my career makes me very happy."

Ronaldo said one of the factors in joining Juve was the standing ovation given to him by the Turin club's fans on his last visit, when he scored an astonishing overhead kick for Real in the Champions League quarter-finals.

Cristiano Ronaldo in black and white

"It was a really stunning moment for me," he added. "Being welcomed this way is so rewarding. It increases your motivation to start a new adventure."

The signing of the five-times world player of the year and Champions League top scorer for the last six seasons is a major coup for Juve, who have lifted the Serie A title for the last seven seasons but have not won Europe's top prize since 1996.

"We are going to fight not only for the Champions League but for the Serie A title," said Ronaldo. "We know competition will be tough but we must stay concentrated.

"I hope I can help Juventus win it (the Champions League). They couldn't win (last year) because even when you get to the final nothing is written. I hope I can be the lucky star of this club but we will see what happens."

Ronaldo scored twice when Real beat Juventus 4-1 in the 2017 Champions League final in between triumphs over Atletico Madrid and Liverpool in Europe's elite club competition.

???? LIVE from J|Medical:@Cristiano meets the fans ?????????#CR7DAY #CR7JUVE pic.twitter.com/d1O3mTMTl8 — JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) July 16, 2018

The Portugal captain took his goalscoring form to the World Cup in Russia and netted four times, but failed to lead the European champions beyond the last-16 stage.

Ronaldo said he would start training with Juve on July 30 and hoped to feature in the opening match of their title defence in August. The fixtures will be announced later this month.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS