SCHOOLS: It's showtime as Mombasa, Kwale games begin

Unique Sports
By Ernest Ndunda | Jun 20, 2024
Action between St. Anthony's Boys Kitale and Serani Boys in last year's national games. [Benjamin Sakwa, Standard]

There is rising hope from little-known schools of pulling off surprises as Mombasa and Kwale County secondary schools Term Two games start on Thursday.

Giants have been put on notice. Interestingly, the underdogs have predicted they will upset the giants when the right time comes.

In Mombasa, Coast region boys football giants Serani will start their title defence against Miritini Complex in a pool B match at Jomvu grounds.

Coached by Swaleh 'Sunda' Abdalla, Serani, who have set their eyes on the national title, start as prematch favourites.

In an interview, Abdalla said he is not worried about their opponents who also include Khadija and St Charles Lwanga.

"We have enough arsenal for our opponents. I hope the boys will do the work," said Abdalla.

Serani, who have consistently represented Coast region at the national games, have talented players, some of whom have been featuring for Bandari youth in Mombasa league.

"Serani School has been working closely with Bandari Youth to tap and expose talent at the school," said the coach.

Serani should, however, expect stiff challenge from former champions Tononoka who went back to the drawing board after losing to Serani in last year's championships.

Tononoka start their title chase in a Pool A tie against Mombasa Forces Academy. Marimani and Miritini Secondary School are also in Pool A.

In girls' football, Mwakirunge face Star of the Sea in pool A, while Hassan Joho School face St Charles Lwanga in pool B.

In Kwale, officials have warned teams against fielding ineligible players.

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS