Security beefed up as hundreds arrive for WRC Safari Rally in Naivasha

Sports
By Antony Gitonga | Jun 21, 2021
Federation International Automobile (FIA) President Jean Todt (R) and CS for Sports Amina Mohammed commissions the service bay at KWS training institute in Naivasha [Antony Gitonga]

Two days to the long awaited World Rally Championship (WRC) in Naivasha, security has been beefed up with over 1,000 police officers are deployed in the sub-county.

Already tens of motorsport enthusiasts, organizers of the event, government officials and business people started trooping to the town for the event that kicks off on Wednesday to Sunday.

The event will mark the return of Safari Rally that was heralded as one of the toughest rallies on the World Rally Championship (WRC) calendar. The return is after close to a two-decade hiatus.

Hoteliers are busy sprucing their facility, bar owners stocking liquor, health workers checking Covid-19 requirements and security officers patrolling the streets of the lakeside town and its outskirts.

Other than the motor sport event, a series of entertainment parties- all in line with Covid-19 regulations- have been organized to welcome the over 30,000 local and international visitors.

According to Naivasha sub-county commissioner Mutua Kisilu, a team from the national government was overseeing the security arrangements for the international event.

Toyota's Sebastien Ogier [Courtesy]

Kisilu said they were working closely with the team to make the event a success by making sure that all the health and security issues were addressed.

“Already the town is full of activity ahead of the rally with the organizers out in the field and we expect this to be one of the most successful rallies,” he said.

On the pandemic, Kisilu said that they were working closely with the department of health, the organizers and the hoteliers to make sure the health protocol was followed to the letter.

Naivasha OCPD Samuel Waweru added that security officers had been stationed in all the hotels hosting the guests during the rally.

He said that the security officers were ready for the visitors and warned trouble makers to keep off as all security measures were in place to deal with them.

“We have not recorded any case of criminality as we have increased our patrols in and around the town ahead of the world event,” he said.

Event organizer Billy Muturi ‘Dush’ said that they had organized a three-day fun carnival from Friday to Sunday in Baron Grounds near Delamere shopping center.

According to him, the ‘Pull up and Chill’ event would see them hold a reggae party on Friday, Dunda festival on Saturday and Old School on Sunday.

“We have adhered to all the set health regulations and we want to use the function to welcome all the visitors to the lakeside town,” he said.

WRC Safari Rally chief executive officer Phineas Kimathi said that they were working closely with the county government and entrepreneurs during the event.

“We expect over 10,000 international visitors in Naivasha during the event and this will boost businesses in this town and Nakuru County,” he said.

 

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS