Brazil's Pele returns to hospital for tumor treatment checkup

Unique Sports
By Reuters | Jan 19, 2022
Dec. 1, 2017 file photo, Brazilian soccer legend Pele attends the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. On his social media accounts, Pele said on Monday, Sept. 6, 2021 that an apparent tumor on the right side of his colon had been removed in an operation. AP

Brazilian soccer great Pele has returned to hospital for a routine checkup, his business's manager told Reuters on Thursday, as he undergoes treatment after having a colon tumor removed last year.

Sports TV network ESPN reported earlier in the day that Pele, 81, was back at Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital for new chemotherapy sessions.

ESPN said he was diagnosed with a tumor in the intestine, one in the liver and the beginning of another in a lung, and would undergo new exams to find other possible cancer spots.

It said Pele was in stable condition and could leave the hospital on Thursday, but due to his fragile condition he would be closely monitored.

The hospital's press office said it did not have any information regarding Pele's hospitalization.

The three-time World Cup winner underwent an operation to remove a colon tumor in September 2021 and spent nearly a month under care.

He was hospitalized again last month for chemotherapy sessions and discharged on Dec. 23.

Widely considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, Pele has suffered from a series of health issues in recent years, including a hip surgery that left him with recurring pain and trouble walking unaided.

Pele reduced his public appearances in recent times, especially as the COVID-19 pandemic struck, but remains active on social media. Earlier this week, he posted a video on Instagram congratulating Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo after the Manchester United star received a special award from FIFA.

 

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS