Rafael Nadal 'doesn't miss tennis' after retirement

Tennis
By AFP | May 26, 2025
Spain's Rafael Nadal poses with the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup trophy after winning the Australian Open [Joel Carrett/AAP Image]

Rafael Nadal said on Sunday he "doesn't miss tennis much" after retiring from the sport last year as a 22-time Grand Slam champion.

Roland Garros held an emotional tribute to the 14-time French Open winner's career on the opening day of the tournament, six months after Nadal played his final match.

"I don't miss tennis much, because I feel that I gave it all that I had," Nadal told reporters.

"I arrived today with the peace that I can't be on court. My body don't allow me to be on court. So that's all. I am in peace.

"I did all that I could to have the best career possible, and now I am enjoying this new phase of my life, that I am sure is going to be less exciting than the tennis career, because the adrenaline that sports gives to you, I think it's impossible to find in other things in life.

"But that doesn't mean I'm gonna be less happy."

The 38-year-old said he has not played at all since ending his illustrious career last November, instead focusing on his tennis academy, charitable foundation and business interests.

"I didn't touch a racquet yet after my retirement. So it's (six) months without being on a tennis court," he added.

"But I will. I will be back at some point, because at some point I will prepare myself to play an exhibition or something like this."

Nadal said he even briefly lost his famous competitive edge after retiring, including on the golf course.

"I don't know why. But I was playing golf or anything else, and I didn't care if I lose, if I win, if I play well, if I play bad. It was a strange feeling for me, and not funny.

"I didn't like to experience that, being honest, because I understand the sport in another way. But that's past. I am competitive again."

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS