Brazil's Pele returns to hospital for tumor treatment checkup

Unique Sports
By Reuters | Jan 19, 2022
Dec. 1, 2017 file photo, Brazilian soccer legend Pele attends the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. On his social media accounts, Pele said on Monday, Sept. 6, 2021 that an apparent tumor on the right side of his colon had been removed in an operation. AP

Brazilian soccer great Pele has returned to hospital for a routine checkup, his business's manager told Reuters on Thursday, as he undergoes treatment after having a colon tumor removed last year.

Sports TV network ESPN reported earlier in the day that Pele, 81, was back at Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital for new chemotherapy sessions.

ESPN said he was diagnosed with a tumor in the intestine, one in the liver and the beginning of another in a lung, and would undergo new exams to find other possible cancer spots.

It said Pele was in stable condition and could leave the hospital on Thursday, but due to his fragile condition he would be closely monitored.

The hospital's press office said it did not have any information regarding Pele's hospitalization.

The three-time World Cup winner underwent an operation to remove a colon tumor in September 2021 and spent nearly a month under care.

He was hospitalized again last month for chemotherapy sessions and discharged on Dec. 23.

Widely considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, Pele has suffered from a series of health issues in recent years, including a hip surgery that left him with recurring pain and trouble walking unaided.

Pele reduced his public appearances in recent times, especially as the COVID-19 pandemic struck, but remains active on social media. Earlier this week, he posted a video on Instagram congratulating Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo after the Manchester United star received a special award from FIFA.

 

Share this story
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
Police Bullets reign supreme as financial constraints choke teams
The 2025-2026 season of the FKF Women’s Premier League ended at the weekend with the crowning of Kenya Police Bullets who maintained a iron grip on the gong.
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at the end of the season - reports
Pep Guardiola is set to bring his trophy-laden decade in charge of Manchester City to an end this weekend.
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
Arsenal are on the brink of ending a 22-year wait to win the Premier League after beating Burnley 1-0 on Monday, opening up a five-point lead at the top.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS