Blow to Man United – Madrid in best position to sign Haaland
Sports
By
Mirror
| Nov 06, 2020
Real Madrid are said to be “in the best position” to land Erling Haaland in 2022, with a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ already in place.
The Norwegian is one of the hottest properties in world football and has enjoyed a prolific start to his Borussia Dortmund career after his move in January.
After netting a brace in the Champions League win over Club Brugge in midweek, the 20-year-old sits on 26 goals in just 28 appearances for the club.
Real Madrid are believed to see Haaland as the heir apparent to Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski as the top striker in the game.
Spanish outlet AS, claim that after signing Kylian Mbappe and Eduardo Camavinga next summer, they will turn their attention to landing Haaland the following year.
READ MORE
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
Thunder plot Equity Bank raid as Premier League tips off
Kenya Army, KPA and Equity win as league second leg gets underway
Lemke, Jarvis on one stroke lead as Njoroge shoulders Kenya's hope
Odhiambo leads congratulations as Kanjama becomes LSK's 52nd president
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
How Kenya is now positioning itself as top sports destination
Magical Kenya Open: Kruyswijk, Kibugu inspire local charges as battle intensifies
Reports had suggested that a release clause in his Dortmund deal could see him leave at the end of the season for €75million.
However, Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insists there is no such arrangement and they still hope to convince him to stay with the club long-term.
“There’s no such agreement,” Watzke told SportBILD. “And it’s not about that.
“It’s about convincing the player about the club and about our plans.
"We have a clear wish for Erling to stay with us, and we want to convince him and his agent to do that. I’m confident on that front.
“I think Erling feels at home with BVB. He definitely made the right choice to move to us last winter.
"To take another step so soon, I’d consider that the wrong decision for him, personally.”
AS do claim however, that there is a gentleman’s agreement between club, player and agent Mino Raiola, that he will be allowed to leave in 2022.
Manchester United were close to signing him before his move to Bundesliga, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer meeting him and his representatives at the end of last year.