More than 20 Covid-19 cases at two football clubs after lab error

Football
By Reuters | Jul 06, 2020
[COURTESY]

More than 20 players and officials from two Bulgarian top-flight clubs have been quarantined with novel coronavirus infections following a laboratory mistake, the teams said on Monday.

Tsarsko Selo defender Martin Kavdanski played in their league game against Cherno More Varna on Thursday despite testing positive for COVID-19.

Kavdanski was named in the starting lineup after the laboratory, which conducted the players’ tests, had informed the club and the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) that all pre-match tests were negative.

However, on Friday the lab admitted it had made a mistake, saying Kavdanski’s test was positive, Tsarsko Selo said in a statement.

The club added that three more players — Ivaylo Ivanov, Iliya Dzhamov and Kiril Troharov — had tested positive for COVID-19 after new tests.

Local media reported that Tsarsko Selo’s owner Stoyne Manolov has also tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Also on Monday, Cherno More said the Varna-based club had been hit with 16 positive tests for COVID-19.

“Unfortunately, the results found 16 positive samples,” Cherno More said in a statement. “All players, who tested positive, are quarantined and we have taken the necessary precautions.

“We have notified the BFU’s medical commission as well as the sports and technical department and we are waiting for their instructions.”

Despite the 16 positive tests, Cherno More said they are still ready to play their league match at home to Arda Kardzhali on Tuesday, relying on junior players.

As of Monday, the Balkan country had 5,740 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus while 246 people had died.

 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS