Deontay Wilder to sack coach who threw in towel against Tyson Fury

Boxing
By Mirror | Feb 25, 2020
Deontay Wilder felt he was still in the fight when Mark Breland threw in the towel (Image: COURTESY)

Deontay Wilder will part company with coach Mark Breland after he threw in the towel in the seventh round of his defeat by Tyson Fury. 

Breland has been widely praised for his decision as Wilder took a beating in the corner of the ring having been dropped twice earlier in the fight

But head trainer Jay Deas later said he disagreed with the move - and Wilder has backed up his cornerman.

After confirming he will exercise his right to a trilogy fight with Fury, Wilder revealed he is ready to change his coaching team.

"I am upset with Mark for the simple fact that we’ve talked about this many times and it’s not emotional,” Wilder told Yahoo.

"It is not an emotional thing, it’s a principal thing. We’ve talked about this situation many, many years before this even happened. I said as a warrior, as a champion, as a leader, as a ruler, I want to go out on my shield. If I’m talking about going in and killing a man, I respect the same way. I abide by the same principal of receiving.

"So I told my team to never, ever, no matter what it may look like, to never throw the towel in with me because I’m a special kind. I still had five rounds left. No matter what it looked like, I was still in the fight.

"I understand he was looking out for me and trying to do what he felt was right, but this is my life and my career and he has to accept my wishes."

Wilder was also critical of referee Kenny Bayless who he claimed allowed Fury to hit him to the back of his head.

"The referee told me specifically that if I hit him in the back of the head or hit him on the break, he’d disqualify me,” he added.

"But I guess that was only directed toward me, because he allowed Fury to do those things. That’s the one thing that bothered me of everything."

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS