Man City's appeal against financial fair play probe dismissed

Football
By Reuters | Nov 15, 2019
[Courtesy]

Manchester City's appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against a UEFA financial fair play investigation has been dismissed, the tribunal's general secretary Matthieu Reeb said on Friday.

"CAS ruled that the appeal filed by Manchester City football club is inadmissible," Reeb told reporters.

The English Premier League champions lodged their appeal in June against an investigation by the European soccer body into potential breaches by the club of its financial fair play policy.

City reacted angrily when they were referred to the adjudicatory chamber of UEFA's club financial control body by its investigatory chamber in May.

The club said it would appeal to CAS, but the sports court dismissed their initial appeal, saying on Friday that City had not "exhausted the legal remedies available to it prior to the appeal".

It means City have failed in their attempt to stop UEFA from investigating the allegations they supplied false financial information, with CAS saying their appeal was "inadmissable".

The investigatory chamber had also recommended that City be sanctioned by UEFA.

The investigation into City is based on leaked emails published last year by German magazine Der Spiegel as part of "Football Leaks".

Possible punishments include a suspension from the Champions League, a transfer ban or a fine.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS