Chelsea ban fan for life for racist abuse in Man City game

Football
By Reuters | Jul 31, 2019
Chelsea fan accused of abusing Raheem Sterling

Chelsea have banned a supporter for life for hurling racial abuse at players during last season's Premier League home match against Manchester City, the club said on Tuesday.

City's Raheem Sterling was a target of abuse from fans near the touch line during the game, in an incident widely covered in the news for highlighting lingering racism among football fans despite years of efforts to stamp it out.

Chelsea had banned four supporters from matches last year pending an investigation into alleged racial abuse.

"One individual has been permanently excluded from Stamford Bridge for the use of racially abusive language and threatening and aggressive behaviour," Chelsea said in a statement.

Five others were handed suspensions of one to two years for "abusive language and threatening and aggressive behaviour" in City's 2-0 defeat in December last year.

"Individuals receiving the shorter exclusion did so on the basis that they have provided undertakings about their future behaviour."

Although the Crown Prosecution Service said they would not be initiating criminal prosecutions, Chelsea decided to ban the supporter.

"The club took into account the denial made by the individual as well as a range of other evidence, including video evidence and evidence from two lip reading experts - both of whom advised that the individual had used words that are racially abusive." (Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS