Meet the casual labourer eyeing Sh208 million SportPesa Mega Jackpot

Sports
By Chrispine Magak | Sep 28, 2018
Morris Werunga, won Sh1 million SportPesa multibet last week as confirmed to Let’s Bet by SportPesa, and he is optimistic that he will soon win his first Mega Jackpot bet after three years of betting [Courtesy]

A casual labourer living in Nairobi’s Lucky Summer estate last week won Sh1 million courtesy of SportPesa.

Morris Werunga won the money after placing a multi-bet. He is optimistic that he will soon win his first Mega Jackpot after three years of betting.

The 28-year old father of two boys, says he wants to try out his luck on the Mega Jackpot which currently stands at Sh208,733,619.

“I prefer a multi-bet because it allows me the option to pick whichever combination works for me. Though the current mega jackpot amount is too large to be ignored,” Werunga added.

Werunga correctly predicted the outcomes of 18 matches to surpass his previously highest win (Sh6,000) and pocket a cool one million.

“The most I have won before is Sh6,000,” he said, adding that, “I cannot explain how happy I am right now (having scooped 1 million). To some, this may not be a lot of money but I plan to use it wisely in order to change my life.”

To win Sportpesa Mega Jackpot, one has to correctly predict the outcomes of 17 select football matches picked weekly. Out of the only three times that this jackpot has been won since it was launched, two of these winners have hit it when it rose past Sh200 million.

Samuel Abisai, the man who made history by becoming the first winner in the country to win over Sh200 million in betting, took home Sh221,301,602 on May 1, 2017.

Three weeks later, a 60-year old teacher Florence Machogu shared the spoils with two other winners Geoffrey Keitany, 30, and Daniel Rono when the trio correctly predicted the outcomes of the Mega Jackpot games. The amount then was at Sh111 million, meaning each took home Sh37, 058,791.

Kibera man Gordon Ogada still stands the winner of the highest amount after pocketing Sh230, 742,881 in February 2018.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS