REVEALED: Harambee Stars yet to be paid months after trip to India

Football
By Chrisphine Magak | Sep 14, 2018
Harambee Stars starting eleven in a previous match [COURTESY]

Football Kenya Federation has not paid Harambee Stars players, who took part in the 2018 Intercontinental Cup tournament held in India their dues from the Sh2.5 million prize money awarded for emerging the first runner-up. Kenya had a comprehensive squad of 21 players at the tournament held between June 1 and 10.

One of the players explained to The Nairobian that the agreement was that the federation gets half of the Sh2.5 million and the other half was to be shared amongst the players. This means every player was to receive about Sh119,000. But three months down the line, no payment has been made.

“Hatujalipwa anything hadi wa leo,” a player who sought anonymity for fear of victimisation told The Nairobian. Another player also expressed his frustrations about the issue saying that he had planned for the money. “We have not received what was supposed to be shared amongst us after emerging number two in the tournament. It hurts because some of my projects cannot run,” he said.

The Nairobian sought a reaction from Football Kenya Federation head of communication Barry Otieno who said: “India sent the prize money, but not as prompt as was expected. It is however unfortunate that we have not been able to transfer the money to players’ accounts because we’re having problems accessing the money because of issues to do with the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA). We’re working round the clock to ensure players get what is rightfully theirs.”

Kenya players chase down India striker in a past friendly [Courtesy]

Barry said that only allowances for two players -Jockins Atudo and Clifton Miheso - who registered stellar performances at the tournament, had been paid. Atudo has confirmed the same to The Nairobian.

“Yes,nililipwa allowance yangu, for being Man of the Match,” he said.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS