Mourinho unsure about availability of midfield star for Sevilla game

Gossip & Rumours
By Reuters | Mar 12, 2018
Paul Pogba goes to the ground after picking harmstring injury in his last game. [Photo: Courtesy]

Manchester United are uncertain about midfielder Paul Pogba’s availability for Tuesday’s Champions League last 16 clash with Sevilla, manager Jose Mourinho said after the Frenchman missed their 2-1 Premier League win over Liverpool at the weekend.

Pogba was ruled out after picking up an injury in the team’s final training session before the match and Mourinho is awaiting information on whether he can shake off the knock in time for the visit of the Spanish side.

“I don’t know,” Mourinho told British media when asked about Pogba’s availability for the second leg of their last 16 match.

“The injury? It was contact with a player in the last minute of the training session.

“If I finished the session one minute before it wouldn’t have happened,” the Portuguese manager added.

United’s record signing Pogba has been criticised for his performances this season and Mourinho benched the 24-year-old for their goalless draw at Sevilla in the first leg last month.

Pogba came on as a substitute early in that game after midfielder Ander Herrera pulled up injured.

Midfielder Marouane Fellaini returned to action against Liverpool to boost Mourinho’s midfield options against Sevilla. The Belgium international has been out since January after undergoing minor knee surgery.

“I want to praise every player but Marouane Fellaini had to go to knee surgery,” Mourinho said. Fellaini replaced goalscorer Marcus Rashford in the 70th minute.

“To return ahead of time, he did fantastic work to recover outside the club with the people who have his trust. He arrived to train a couple of days ago and made himself available.”

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS