WHY WILLIAMSON DROPPED KAGO: Harambee Stars coach axes five players including Were ahead of Mauritius game

Football
By Gilbert Wandera | Sep 30, 2015
Harambee stars' Paul Were during their Africa Cup of Nation Qualifier match against Zambia at Nyayo stadium on Sep.6 2015.[PHOTO:DENNIS OKEYO/STANDARD] (R) Harambee Stars Bob Williamson give instruction to players during their match with Zambia's Chipolopolo at Nyayo National Stadium African Cup Of Nations Qualifier clash against Zambia on Sunday, Sept 3, 2015. PHOTO/ JONAH ONYANGO.

Harambee Stars head coach Bobby Williamson says he dropped Tusker forward Jesse Were and midfielder Danson Kago from his 2018 World Cup squad due to indiscipline.

The two were the surprise omissions when Williamson named his squad to play Mauritius in the preliminary fixture next month.

With that announcement, there will surely be no hiding place for the Harambee Stars duo, that had been called for national duty ahead of the Kenyan versus Zambia match on September 6 at Nyayo Stadium.

Were is the current top scorer in the SportPesa Premier League (SPL) with 19 goals on the chart.

But speaking to FeverPitch yesterday, Williamson said;

“We have dropped Were and Kago due to disciplinary issues. I will not allow players who have no discipline in my team.”

But the tactician declined to state the exact sins the two might have committed, saying;

“You ask them. But it is clear from now on that we will not tolerate indiscipline in the team.”

The decision to drop the players could have, however, stemmed from reports that some players had left the national team’s camp on the eve of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Zambia, which Stars lost 2-1.

The incident before the Zambia game elicited reaction on social media.

Williamson at the same time says he will not have enough time to prepare the team before the Mauritius fixture.

“We only expect the foreign-based players two days before the match and this will not give us enough time to work with them. The league is also on, which complicates matters.”

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS