Mayweather dampens hopes for Pacquiao fight
Boxing
By
AFP
| Feb 01, 2015
|
|
| Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather |
Unbeaten fighter Floyd Mayweather dampened talk of a possible mega-fight agreement with Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, a day after the Asian star's promoter said a deal was near.
Mayweather posted a message on his Shots account that said in part "While they continue to lie about making the fight... I'm just going to continue to travel and explore the world on my private jet. #FightNotMadeYet #Jamaica."
Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum told the New York Post on Friday that he was optimistic a Pacquiao-Mayweather deal for a May 2 fight in Las Vegas would be completed in the next couple of days, with only a few final details to be settled between rival telecasters HBO and Showtime, the rights holders for Pacquiao and Mayweather respectively.
Mayweather, who turns 38 on February 24, left England's Amir Khan hanging for months until announcing on his birthday last year that he would fight Argentina's Marcos Maidana instead.
Mayweather wound up beating the South American twice in 2014, but has yet to test himself against Pacquiao or Khan.
READ MORE
Kenya-UK trade reaches all time high of Sh360b
Nairobi picked to host world's largest food trade platform
Inside Molo MP Kuria Kimani's Sh10.5m Mercedes-Benz dispute
Court allows Amario's alleged son to appeal bid for share of Sh760m estate
Every baby counts: Investing in Kenya's newborns' health
Eight years later, Kendagor's Sh360m estate finally divided
Kenya sells urban climate change projects despite drawbacks
Kihika's widows suffer setback in Sh600 million estate dispute case
Sixty South Koreans to return home Saturday after Cambodia detention
Filipino southpaw Pacquiao is 57-5 with two drawn and 38 knockouts while Mayweather is 47-0 with 26 knockouts. Fans have sought a showdown between the two for five years, thus far in vain.