Calabar leaves Gor Mahia restless: K'Ogalo officials scratch heads over David Owino's alleged move to Tanzanian giants Simba

Football
By Gilbert Wandera | Dec 14, 2014
AFC Leopards Austin Ikenna(L) fight for the ball against David Owino of Gor Mahia during their KPL match at Nyayo National Stadium on Sunday 08/06/14.PHOTO.BONIFACE OKENDO

Gor Mahia officials have termed the alleged departure of their dependable defender, David 'Calabar' Owino to Tanzanian giants, Simba as mere speculation.

The officials denied the said move after numerous reports emerged from Tanzania's media that the player has joined Simba. Several Tanzanian online reports claimed the player has agreed terms with Simba and was expected to officially join them before the transfer window closes on Monday.
The reports have elicited panic and anxiety in the Gor Mahia camp given that Owino is not your usual player. His departure would be a major set-back for the club as they prepare to take part in next year's CAF Champions League.
Reacting to the reports, Gor Mahia Chief Executive Lodvick Aduda and Deputy Secretary Secretary General Ronald Ngala dismissed them as mere speculation. "Last week, when Simba told us they wanted Owino to attend trials at the club, we talked to the player, but he turned down the offer. I can confidently say that he is not going anywhere," said Ngala.
However, what should worry Gor Mahia faithful even more is the player has less than six months remaining on his contract, but Ngala said this is not a concern.
"What this means is that Simba are free to talk to him without being accused of player tapping, but he cannot sign for them. The best he can do is agree to join them in June when his contract formally ends," he explained.
On his part, Aduda said Gor Mahia will report the player and Simba to world body Fifa if indeed he has signed a contract with the Tanzanian side without consulting Gor Mahia.
"The rules are very clear. A club cannot sign a player while he is still on contract with another. We will take action against both parties if indeed those reports are true," said Aduda.
Owino himself could not be reached for comment although he confirmed last week of his stay at Gor Mahia. K'Ogalo have already lost some high profile players in the ongoing player movement. Their top marksman Dan Sserunkuma left to join Simba and Geoffrey Kizito went to Vietnam in a move that left them depleted ahead of the new season.
With no shirt sponsors, Gor will find it difficult to attract experienced players who demand huge sign on fees.
Elsewhere, Sofapaka are demanding Sh4million from Yanga to release top striker Enock Agwanda, who has already been invited for trials at the club.
Sofapaka chairman Elly Kalekwa said: "Agwanda is one of the top players in the country and we have given them our conditions. If they can match it, fine. We will do business, otherwise we are not interested in any other offer."

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS