KPL awards 'shambolic', says Ulinzi Stars head coach Matano

Football
By Gilbert Wandera | Nov 23, 2014
Ulinzi Stars head coach Robert Matano (right) accepts the 1st runners up coach of the year awar from KBL Managing Director Joe Muganda awards during the 2014 KPL Footballer of the Year Award (FOYA) gala at Safari Park Hotel on 19-11-2014.PHOTO/DENNIS OKEYO

Ulinzi Stars head coach Robert Matano has accused some of his colleagues of professional negligence in the wake of the alleged shambolic Kenyan Premier League (KPL) awards.

Speaking for the first time since the gala, Matano admitted that there had been intense lobbying and has now called for a radical change in how the process is carried out.

"I confirm that some of my colleagues were very unprofessional and were involved in lobbying. Such things must end if these awards are to be taken seriously,” he said.

Matano, who was voted the third best coach, suggested that in future the coaches must not come together to nominations to minimise chances of lobbying.

"I suggest that individual coaches be given 15 minutes to make own nominations and thereafter we can all meet together and compare notes. After that, those who are favoured by majority of coaches can be declared winners without the intense lobbying witnessed last week.”

Matano further suggested that it is time KPL introduced a monthly award to make it easier for coaches to pick the best players at the end of the season.

“We can be allowed to evaluate the performance of players and coaches after every four matches. If your team have won three matches out of four games, for example, you should automatically be the coach of the month.

“For the players, we can look at the games they played in a month, yellow cards and red cards and how many times they were named man of the match.

“Such statistics will help us make the final decision on who is the best player at the end of the season without anyone having to lobby,” he said.

Matano is one of 16 coaches who took part in the nomination and voting during the gala.

Share this story
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS