Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko signs new four-year deal at City

Gossip & Rumours
By AFP | Aug 21, 2014
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko

Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Wednesday signed a new four-year contract which will keep him at the Premier League champions until at least 2018.

The Bosnian international's current deal had only 10 months to run and manager Manuel Pellegrini's determination to keep the striker was fully justified by his performance as City beat Newcastle 2-0 on Sunday.

"I'm really happy here at City -- it's a second home to me so it was an easy decision to stay for the long-term," Dzeko told the City website.

"I knew from the beginning when I started here that I wanted to stay for a long time -- I can't see any place better than here."

"I'm settled perfectly to life here, I know my team-mates, the club, the team, very well and I feel like I can improve even more.

"Over the last three-and-a-half years we've made history together but I feel like we are only at the start of something really special.

"There are still so many objectives and goals that I want to reach from my career in the game and I believe I am in the perfect place to achieve them all."

Dzeko has scored 66 goals for City including the equaliser against QPR on the last day of the 2011/12 season which paved the way for Sergio Aguero to hit the injury-time championship-winning goal.

Pellegrini had been full of praise for the 28-year-old -- who joined City from Bundesliga side VfL Wolfsburg for £27 million (33.78 million euros) in 2011 -- after his crucial role at St James' Park at the weekend.

Dzeko created the opening goal for David Silva and the second came in stoppage time from one of his rivals for a place in the City forward line, substitute Aguero.

"It's not strange for me to see him play like that because he finished last season playing very well. He has grown. He's a team player," said Pellegrini.

"I'm very happy for him. That's why he is renewing his contract here -- he has a very important duty in our team."

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS