Disquiet in Gor’s camp: Players demand share of prize money won last season

Football
By -GILBERT WANDERA | Mar 25, 2014

By GILBERT WANDERA

Gor Mahia player Patrick Oboya gestures as he walks off the pitch with teammates Kevin Omondi (centre) and Dan Sserunkuma. [PHOTO:BONIFACE OKENDO/STANDARD]

There is disquiet among players in the Gor Mahia camp over unpaid bonuses accruing from last year’s Kenyan Premier League (KPL) win and runners-up position in the GOtv Shield tournament.

A section of players are unhappy with the officials for not paying them part of the prize money the team was entitled to and want the matter addressed urgently.

On Sunday night, reports emerged that the players wanted to boycott training to show their displeasure but this did not happen and they trained normally on Monday morning at City Stadium.

A senior player told Feverpitch they are disgruntled over the matter and it is affecting their morale.

The player who asked not to be named for fear of victimisation said: “We were expecting to get half of the prize money as players and leave the remainder to the office but three months down the line there has been no information over the same. The players are demoralised and want this matter to be sorted out quickly.”

Team sabotage

There were reports the discontent could have caused the team to lose Saturday’s match against Nakuru Top Fry when they went down 2-0.

However, officials of the club were quick to dismiss the reports as “baseless”. Coach Bobby Williamson said he is not aware of the issue as he was concentrating on preparing the team.

“There is nothing like disgruntlement in the camp. The players are determined to play even for nothing for Gor Mahia. It is a big honour for them to even wear the team’s jersey.

“Having said that, however, those matters are best addressed by the administrators. My work is to prepare the team on the pitch and ensure they get the best results,” he said.

Losing effect

Gor Mahia Deputy Secretary General Ronald Ngala also disputed the reports and pointed out that the issues are  emerging only because the team lost to Nakuru Top Fry.

“I am not surprised that such reports have emerged. I want to state categorically that there is no truth in them as we have found out from our investigations.

“We talked to the captain and he assured us the players are happy and ready to give their best on the pitch. This is all coming up because we lost the match on Saturday. If we had won, there would be no such reports,” said Ngala.

The official said Gor players were never promised anything from the KPL and GOtv Shield prize money.

“In 2012 when the team finished runners-up, we decided to pay the players Sh1million as consolation.

“For last year’s prize money, we have not yet made a decision on how to divide it but when that happens the players will be informed as appropriate,” said Ngala.

Gor take on former champions Tusker on Wednesday at City Stadium hoping to bounce back from Saturday’s loss.

–gwandera@standardmedia.co.ke

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS