Manchester United should have made ME their manager when Alex Ferguson retired, says Cantona

Sports
By Mirror | Dec 03, 2017
Former Man United striker Eric Cantona [PHOTO: COURTESY]

Eric Cantona has claimed Manchester United would have kept on winning titles if they’d appointed him as Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor four years ago.
The Frenchman said: “Only I could have made them succeed (after Fergie’s 2013 retirement). Nobody else. Only me.”
King Eric is still adored by United fans who remember him leading them to their first Premier League title in 1993, ending their 26-year wait.
Cantona walked away from ¬football when he retired in 1997 to ¬become an actor, but asked if he would ever consider a return to the game, Cantona, now 51, said: “No. Only to manage Manchester United.
“They won’t ask me. Maybe that’s why they didn’t win the Premier League."
United were champions when Ferguson retired in 2013. They appointed David Moyes and Louis van Gaal, who were both sacked, before Jose Mourinho was put in charge last year.
Despite his career in films, Cantona is still in touch with football – and he has hammered Brazilian superstar Neymar for his £196million move from Barcelona into the football backwater of the French league at PSG.
Cantona said: “He will be playing against Lorient and Guingamp. How is it possible to be a great player and go there?
“How old is he? 25? From Brazil to Barcelona to the French Championship. It disappoints me so much.”
In a recent interview, outspoken Cantona also dismissed Mourinho, claiming he’d rather have Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola in charge at United with his style more suited to Old Trafford’s traditions.

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS