EU investigating Musk's X over possible breaches of social media Law

Sci & Tech
By VOA | Dec 19, 2023
Computer monitors and a laptop display the X, formerly known as Twitter, sign-in page, July 24, 2023, in Belgrade, Serbia. [AP Photo]

European Union authorities are looking into whether Elon Musk's online platform X breached tough new social media regulations in the first such investigation since the rules designed to make online content less toxic took effect.

"Today we open formal infringement proceedings against @X" under the Digital Services Act, European Commissioner Thierry Breton said in a post on the platform Monday.

"The Commission will now investigate X's systems and policies related to certain suspected infringements," spokesman Johannes Bahrke told a press briefing in Brussels. "It does not prejudge the outcome of the investigation."

The investigation will look into whether X, formerly known as Twitter, failed to do enough to curb the spread of illegal content and whether measures to combat "information manipulation," especially through its Community Notes feature, was effective.

The EU will also examine whether X was transparent enough with researchers and will look into suspicions that its user interface, including its blue check subscription service, has a "deceptive design."

"X remains committed to complying with the Digital Services Act, and is cooperating with the regulatory process," the company said in a prepared statement. "It is important that this process remains free of political influence and follows the law. X is focused on creating a safe and inclusive environment for all users on our platform, while protecting freedom of expression, and we will continue to work tirelessly towards this goal."

A raft of big tech companies faced stricter scrutiny after the EU's Digital Services Act took effect earlier this year, threatening penalties of up to 6% of their global revenue - which could amount to billions - or even a ban from the EU.

The DSA is is a set of far-reaching rules designed to keep users safe online and stop the spread of harmful content that's either illegal, such as child sexual abuse or terrorism content, or violates a platform's terms of service, such as promotion of genocide or anorexia.

The EU has already called out X as the worst place online for fake news, and officials have exhorted owner Musk, who bought the platform a year ago, to do more to clean it up. The European Commission quizzed X over its handling of hate speech, misinformation and violent terrorist content related to the Israel-Hamas war after the conflict erupted.

Share this story
Inside Victor Omune's Ingwe push to fulfil father's dream
When AFC Leopards SC won the KPL trophy in 1998, three-quarters of the current club’s playing unit was not yet born. We are out to break this 28-year-old jinx
Stage set for the final Counties Intermediate Championships
As branches get ready for Counties Intermediate Boxing Championships starting tomorrow, they are ready to stop the dominance of Nairobi in the National Championships next week.
Government steps up sports infrastructure expansion with new Thika Stadium
The national government has stepped up its push to expand sports infrastructure across the country after breaking ground for a modern 10,000-seater stadium in Thika town
Bilbao winger Nico Williams out indefinitely with groin issue
Athletic Bilbao winger Nico Williams is set to miss several weeks with a groin problem and has no fixed return date, a concerning development for Spain ahead of the World Cup.
Enrique dismisses 'noise' around PSG before Monaco Champions League clash
PSG coach Luis Enrique dismissed any suggestions of dressing room disharmony as the reigning European champions prepared to put their continental title on the line
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS